Did you know that:
- 81 million adults in the U.S. (43%) can’t read well enough to be sure when to take a medicine or find what time a TV show starts? This statistic comes from the National Adult Literacy Survey (2003) NCED, U.S. Department of Education. It is staggering but similar to the results in every major English-speaking country.
- Roughly half the prison population cannot read? Low income and low self-esteem are close bedfellows of poor literacy, which often leads to crime and drug abuse.
1) We believe in targeting reading difficulties where they start: in childhood.
2) We believe that to help a child who is struggling you have to uncover the root cause of difficulty.
3) We believe every child can learn to read with the right support, using Guided Phonetic Reading.
Our beliefs are based on hard-won experience. 96% of the children we work with learn to read well, despite earlier difficulties.
Easyread is on a mission to eradicate illiteracy in the English-speaking world. But we cannot do that alone.
With statistics like these, we have a lot of work to do! So will you join us by spreading the word about illiteracy? Please share this posting with your friends.
Sarah Forrest is an Easyread Coach at the Easyread System, an online phonics course for children who struggle to read and spell. Easyread can help your child with dyslexia, auditory processing disorder, or a highly visual learning style. Find out more at www.easyreadsystem.com